Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chili Macaroni & Cheese

from More Make it Fast, Cook it Slow (http://www.crockpot365.blogspot.com/***)

You'll Need:
1 lb lean ground meat (beef, turkey, venison)
1 onion, finely diced
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 15 oz can kidney beans* (do not drain)
2 t chili powder*
1 t ground cumin
2 c elbow macaroni
2 c shredded Mexican blend cheese*

How you'll make it:
~brown the meat & the onion in a large skillet on the stove & drain the fat
~put in the slow cooker, add tomatoes & kidney beans
~stir in the chili powder, cumin, uncooked macaroni & cheese
~cover & cook on low for 4 hours, or until the pasta has reached the desired tenderness

*I'm going to use a can of chili beans because I already have them and I don't already have plain kidney beans- so I will omit the chili powder
**Since LM is allergic to yellow cheese, I'll be using mozzarella. No, it won't taste as good, but I won't be changing a nasty diaper the following day. Totally worth it.
***I tried to find this on the website to link the actual recipe, but failed once again. I'm beginning to wonder if some of the recipes in her new cookbook weren't actually created in 2008 for the blog.

The Verdict:

Okay, I'm not trying to hate on crockpot365, because I too have an unnatural obsession with my crockpot, but well, the nice way of saying it is this did not turn out well, at all. It could be because I put it in the fridge for a few hours. The pasta not only disappeared, but it turned into glue. It tasted fine, but DM asked me if he could have a knife to cut it. BigM ate it and LM did not. (But she rarely eats supper so she's not a good judge.)

My advice to you would be to make this recipe in the oven. Go ahead and cook the noodles and mix the meat, tomatoes, beans and spices together. Grease a baking dish and layer noodles, meat mixture and cheese- repeat until you get to the top, but end with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.

I hope you have better luck with this than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment