Saturday, February 12, 2011

Homemade Bagels

A friend of mine has been talking about making homemade bagels. We don't normally eat bagels, but BigM was watching when I was flipping through a magazine and she saw a picture of a bagel smothered in cream cheese and said, "I want to eat that."
So here you go. (And by you, I mean BigM, and you {reading} get to play along.) I used this recipe as a guideline. I recommend you read the reviews, because I learned a lot from them.
you'll need:
1 c water
1 1/2 t salt
2 T honey
1 1/2 c bread flour
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 t yeast
(all ingredients need to be room temp except the water)
how you'll make it:
~fill a glass measuring cup with 1 c water and microwave for 45 seconds
~get out your bread machine and plug it in
~put honey in the bread machine
~add the hottish water
~add the yeast
~let it sit for about 10 minutes
~after 10 minutes, add the remaining ingredients
~turn the bread machine on the dough setting
~watch it for a minute and add a smidge of water as needed until the dough forms a solid ball. (I had to do this so I imagine you might too.)
~wait until the dough cycle runs out
~remove the dough from the bread machine, cut into 12 equal pieces
~shape the pieces into something that looks like a bagel
~cover with a clean dish towel and let rise for about 1 1/2 hours
~boil some water (3 q if you like to measure things)
~add the bagel dough to the boiling water, boiling for 30 seconds on each side
~transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet
~bake at 375 degrees for about 20 - 25 mins
~let them cool on a baking rack and enjoy
the verdict:
these are so good, not only will I never buy bagels again, but I will most definitely start eating them!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! They are purrrrfect! I make them twice a week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made home made bagels, but I have made home made soft pretzels, which are essentially the same thing. Hint: add a couple teaspoons of baking soda to the boiling water for a chewier texture. Careful when adding - it may boil over.

    ReplyDelete